Now that I have my cannabutter recipe up – I can start sharing some more of my favorite edibles that incorporate butter into them. My husband has been begging me to make his favorite cookie with cannabis – so here is my take on the classic snickerdoodles. Mine are called Snickering Doodles because you will definitely be snickering approximately 1-2 hours after eating them!
A key ingredient in making snickerdoodles is cream of tartar. Along with the baking soda, the cream of tartar will help leaven the cookie dough. I bought a ton of this at Whole Foods in the bulk spice section when I went through a making homemade marshmallows phase. I went through this phase five years ago though and I still have this much left!
And of course the other key ingredient is cannabutter! Make sure your cannabutter is softened to room temperature for easier mixing.
This recipe calls for both shortening and butter. I’ve tried baking them with just butter but the shortening really adds to the overall flavor of the cookies.
Also: I only had a 1/4 cup of cannabutter but this recipe calls for a 1/2 cup of butter. Solution? Just use a 1/4 cup of cannabutter and a 1/4 cup of regular butter. Problem solved!
The batter will have a lovely green tinge to it.
Shape dough into a 1-inch balls using about a tablespoon of batter.
Roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar mixture then place on the baking sheet.
You want to make sure the cookies are spaced about 3-4 inches apart or else they will end up like these boob cookies I accidentally made!
With a flat bottom glass dipped in the cinnamon-sugar, flatten each ball. This will help them get that classic snickerdoodle shape.
Flatten the cookie to about 1/4″ thick.
You should spread out your cookies even more then this because mine got pretty smooshed together!
Smooshed or not, they still taste great!
(makes about 2 dozen cookies)
2 1/2 cups white flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cannabutter (or 1/4 cup cannabutter and 1/4 cup butter)
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
For the coating:
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine cannabutter, shortening and 1 1/2 cups of sugar with an electric mixture for about two minutes. Add the eggs and mix well.
4. Gradually add in the flour mixture until incorporated. Don’t over-mix.
5. Combine the cinnamon and 1/4 cup of sugar in a shallow bowl or plate. Using about a tablespoon of batter, shape the dough into 1 inch balls. Roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar mixture than place on the baking sheet. Place the balls about 3-4 inches apart.
6. Using the bottom of a flat glass dipped in cinnamon-sugar, flatten the balls until they are about 1/4″ thick.
7. Bake the cookies for about 9-11 minutes, until the edges are light golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.